Dr.Sc., full member of Russian Academy of Sciences
- Director of V.I. Ilichev Pacific Oceanological Institute, FEB RAS (1994-2015)
Akulichev V.A. studied renewable energy resources of the ocean (tidal and surface waves, ocean thermal energy) and developed transformation methods, and created systems for practical use of this energy.
One of his main research areas is related to experimental and theoretical studies of cavitation in various liquids. He carried out complex actual measurements of water cavitation strength in the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic Oceans. Based on these works, the patterns of interaction between cavitational strength and various hydrophysical parameters in the ocean were determined.
Akulichev V. A. also performed fundamental experimental and theoretical studies of cavitation in cryogenic fluids, including quantum cavitation in liquid helium. These studies allowed to determine the effect of ionizing radiation of high-energy particles on cavitation genesis in various liquids, including sea water.
- Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (1961), Electroacoustics
- Ph.D. in Physics and Mathematics (1966), Moscow Acoustics Institute
- Dr.Sc. in Physics and Mathematics (1975)
- Professor (1985)
- Full Member of Russian Academy of Sciences (2000)